Here’s a look at business text messaging by the numbers:
Americans are attached to their phones
The majority of people spend their waking, and sleeping hours, next to their phone. Mobile devices have become more than a convenient way to make phone calls. Smartphones are a way for people to stay connected to the world around them.
- 71% of Americans who own smartphones sleep with them — either by putting their phone on a nightstand, in their bed, or, for 3% of people, holding it in their hands. (Bank of America)
- On average, Americans check their phone 52 times a day. (Deloitte)
- Even while on vacation, Americans check their phones every 12 minutes, or 80 times a day while on vacation while 1 in 10 check their phones 20 times per hour. (Asurion)
Text messaging is the most popular and frequently used feature
Of all the features and apps available on smartphones, text messaging is the most frequently used. Text messaging allows us to be more efficient, independent, and direct with each other. Now, consumers seek those same benefits when engaging with companies.
- Messaging is the most widely-used feature on smartphones (Pew Research)
- Text messages have a 98% open rate, while email has only a 20% open rate. (Mobile Marketing Watch)
- 90% of all text messages are read in under 3 minutes (Venture Beat)
- Over half of customers said they would be likely to text with a customer support agent. Similarly, 52 percent would prefer texting customer support over their current preferred form of communication. (eWeek)
Text messaging for business is good for the top and bottom line
Messaging enables customers to get the service they desire in a fast, convenient way that puts them in control of the conversation. The ability to text message businesses has become more than a nice to have, it’s a customer experience imperative.
- 73% say that valuing their time is the most important thing a company can do to provide them with good online customer service. (Forrester)
- 66% of consumers rank mobile messaging as their first or second choice to contact a company. (Market Strategies International)
- 61% of online adults unlikely to return to a website that doesn’t provide satisfactory customer experience. (Reflektion)
- 66% of respondents rank messaging as their preferred channel for contacting a company. (Market Strategies International)
- 70% of respondents want to use mobile messaging to troubleshoot an issue and 64% to make a purchase or booking. (Market Strategies International)
- 66% of respondents would pay more for a product/service that was supported by messaging– an average of 17% more! (Market Strategies International)
- 53% US online adults will abandon their online purchase if they cannot find a quick answer to their questions (Forrester)
Top brands are realizing tangible results as a direct result of offering messaging
Companies have increased sales, reduced costs, and improved customer satisfaction by using text messaging. These results span across companies of all sizes and industries such as financial services, retail, consumers services, and many more.
- Overstock.com achieved higher engagement rates with text messaging’s 98% open rates. (Digiday)
- Jackson Hole Mountain Resort has experienced as 75% reduction in phone calls because of text messaging (Quiq)
- Brinks Home Security converted 10% of their phone calls to text messages while realizing a 14 ppt uptick in CSAT.(Quiq)